Saturday, September 15, 2012

Customer Service And Chronic Illness Don't Mix

Today was very difficult at work.

I had very bitchy, whiny, self-centered customers complaining about shit that I can only WISH were the biggest problems I had to face.

I've never really posted about my job, except when I got promoted. Basically I work at a call center for a large pizza company. I handle store service calls, customer complaints, payroll, coaching agents, answering agent questions, filing, handling online transactions etc etc. It's a busy job and for the most part, I love it.

Except when customers are dicks.

Today some guy decided to yell at me because he didn't receive enough pepperoni on his pizza.

"I'm sorry that you don't have enough pepperoni on your pizza sir. I don't have enough red blood cells because I was bleeding internally last week. Would you like some extra cheese the next time to go with your WINE??" Is what I wish I could say.

Instead, I pretended to care.

After that, I got yelled at by some guy who ordered $175 worth of pizzas, didn't answer his phone when we called him back to make sure it wasn't a prank, and then got mad when he called back 2 hours later about his order. Not only did he yell at me, but he passed the phone onto his wife, so that she could yell at me too.

"I'm sorry that you didn't receive your ridiculous amount of food this evening. I am unable to eat without feeling like I'm going to throw up. Please tell me more about how your guests are 'starving' even though I'm sure they had breakfast this morning."

Is what I would LIKE to say.

Instead I made the customer happy and he thanked me for my great customer service. How the FUCK I was able to hold it together to be cheerful and apologetic to someone who has no real problems in life is astounding to me. As you can imagine, it's quite exhausting.

And last but not least, there was grumpy old man who ordered two large pizzas and bitched about the delivery charge which costs less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
Apparently his pizza was warm.
MAYBE CUZ WE COOK IT IN A FREAKIN OVEN DIPSHIT?? Also gas isn't free. If you don't want to pay delivery, get in your fuckin Volvo and pick it up yourself. Asswipe.

*Breathes out*

After getting bitched at by all these people.. I stopped and realized how jealous I am that their problems are so petty. I also kind of felt sorry for them.. What would they do if they had to face a real issue? What if they were the ones who got sick and had to have test after test and surgery after surgery and be filled with hope and then have the doctor say "I'm sorry but there's nothing else we can do for you."? Seriously. What the hell would they do? They lose their shit over extra pepperoni, or cheese, or delivery charges, or their pizza being late. What would they say if they had to keep going to the hospital to have cameras crammed into their body cavities? Or started bleeding heavily out of the blue.. and in immense amounts of pain? EVERY DAY.

Apparently it's common to be irritable when severely anemic. I believe it. I'm okay with that right now. I need to vent. I've been holding onto it for too long. Besides, my rants are kind of funny. It makes me realize that it's okay for ME to once in awhile, break down and lose my shit. I'm not taking it out on anybody. I'm not getting on the phone and yelling at a stranger because "my life sucks" because really.. My life doesn't suck. It's just on a bumpy stretch of road right now. It could be much worse. I can think of a million things that feel way worse than the way I'm feeling right now. I'm grateful for the strength I have to deal with it. I'm also grateful that I know when I've had "enough" and to take time out for me. I left work a little bit early. My stomach was raging at me for eating lunch (I had sweet potato soup.. Easily one of my favourite foods but it didn't like me today) an my emotions were equally raging. I'm going to admit that I spent a good 20 minutes just bawling my eyes out in the bathroom because sometimes, I worry that the complications of this disease will just kill me. I worry that I will become permanently disabled. I worry that I will lose my job, my independence, and my freedom. I wonder how my bills will be paid..
It's too much worry.
I need to think about something else right now..


1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry.

    I know how hard working in retail can be without endometriosis but I swore would never do it again after my last role - and I was just starting to get random pains back when so I have no idea how I'd manage in such an active role now.

    I resent how many people think they can treat and talk to people in such a way just because of the type of work they do - like it somehow entitles them to be evil.

    ReplyDelete